MOLDOX INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY FILM FESTIVAL FOR SOCIAL CHANGE
MOLDOX is an annual international documentary film festival for social change, which is being held for its second year in Moldova, Cahul, between 23-28 th of September, 2017.
Moldox is funded by the Swedish Institute in the framework of the Creative Force project.
The festival shows over 30 internationally award-winning documentaries and holds workshops for Moldovan filmmakers and tries to pick up strong film projects in a country that has been so poor for so many years, so there virtually hasn’t existed any film industry at all, since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The long term ambition of Moldox is be of some help at bringing such an industry to life in Moldova.
This years Opening Ceremony startED with a selection of black and white documentaries, produced in Moldova, that with an orchestral accompaniment by the Symphony Orchestra of the National Philharmonic marking the beginning of the cinema.
MOLDOX Festival screens some of the best social documentary films from around the world in a place where they undoubtedly wouldn’t reach otherwise. This year, the theme of the festival was “POWER.” As such, the screenings, discussion panels and Q&A’s with invited directors focused on the following topics: “Power of Women”, “Power of Opposition”, The Power of Religion” and “Power of Passion”. A special selection of films with the title “Nostalgia” was also prepared, which discussed life under the USSR. In total the festival screened 20 feature films and 15 short films, in 3 different venues: the Grand Hall of the Palace of Culture, Brother’s Pub and the National Theater of Cahul. The films are screened for the public free of charge.
The second component of MOLDOX is MOLDOX LAB – a workshop space hosting 5 documentary film and photography workshops. The workshops are intensive (6 days) and range from beginner to professional level filmmakers. These include:
- Exploration Workshop – for beginners, exclusively for young enthusiasts of Cahul region;
- Action Workshop – for beginners all over the country, especially for NGO members;
- Photography Workshop – for advanced photographers across the country;
- Women Filmmakers – for advanced female directors from Moldova, Ukraine, Romania;
- Inspiration – for advanced Moldovan filmmakers with projects in later stage of development or production. A pitching session in front a jury panel composed of top notch European film professionals will hand in awards for the best projects which will follow the development or go to pitch their films at top European pitching forums
At the completion of each lab participants will have a finished piece to exhibit at the closing event of the festival.
From 22nd till 23rd of September in the frames of MOLDOX Festival “The Conference of Moldovan Documentarians” will be held. There will be taking place masterclasses and networking events for 10 top documentarians from Moldovan Diaspora, and 10 that are based in Moldova with famous directors from Europe, USA and presentations of the National Film Center ,Creative Europe.
MOLDOX Festival is an event organized by SVENSKA FILMSTUDION, “MOLDOX” Association and „CONTACT-Cahul”.
Read more at: www.moldoxfestival.com